[hatari-devel] start and break question

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Sat Jun 11 00:22:02 CEST 2011

Hi,

On perjantai 10 kesäkuu 2011, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
> Le 10/06/2011 22:35, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
> > On tiistai 07 kesäkuu 2011, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> >> But I guess it should in general be enough just to use:
> >> 	b pc = BasepageTextSegment
> >
> > I was reading my MonST manual and noticed that MonST has
> > also variables for this, but their names are a bit shorter:
> > - TEXT
> > - DATA
> > - BSS
> > - END  (= BSS + size of BSS + 1)
> >
> > Should I rename the BasepageTextSegment variable and add at least
> > DATA&  BSS variables to debugger?
>
> Yes, maybe those name are more common to asm coders than the tos' names

I commited a change to the name & added DATA + BSS.

Now you can break at program start with:
	a text

Disassemble from program start with:
	d "text"

And check its data and bss with:
	m "data"
	m "bss"

after it's started.

Btw. Now that I looked, different places in the debugger check debugger
variable, user symbol & register names in different order:
- breakpoint parsing: variable, register, symbol
- expressions: register, symbol, variable

I'm not sure in which order the matching really should go (i.e. which
overrides the others), just that it should be same.   If loaded symbols
contain e.g. HBL or TEXT symbol, should value of that be picked instead
of Hatari variable value?

--

Regarding expressions that the debugger parser evaluates, currently they're
marked with "", like in 'm "data"' above, but those would be nice for

Rest of the debugger breakpoints & expressions syntax already uses
these special ASCII characters: #!%&|():-_+*~^/<>=.

That leaves only these free: []{}?';

"'" character might be nice to leave for strings too, "m ?data?" looks
a bit strange and while "m [data]" looks IMHO fine, it's a bit more
complicated to write (on my Finnish keyboard) than above 'm "data"'.

Any opinions on this?  There aren't many opportunities to change this
once the debugger starts to get wider usage...