[hatari-devel] Choosing ym mixing method in the UI

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Mon Apr 4 21:19:52 CEST 2011

Hi,

On maanantai 04 huhtikuu 2011, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
> by default, Hatari is using linear mixing to average the 3 YM voices and
> get the final sample to play.
>
> Due to the hardware/filters used in a real ST, this doesn't fully match
> the reality, so it's also possible to mix the 3 voices using a table of
> all possible combination measured on an ST (this is in sound.c)
>
> This table method is closer to what should be expected and gives really
> much better/cleaner results when playing samples on STF (by combining
> the 3 YM voices), but it might not please everyone's ears.
>
> So, I'd like to make this the default, but this would need an option to
> change it from the UI easily.
>
> Eero, do you think you could add 2 check boxes to the "sound" panel to
> handle this ?

You mean radio boxes, I assume user cannot select both?

What about command line and configuration option,
I guess the command line option could be:
	--ym-mixer <x>  YM mixing method (x=linear/table)
?

> YM voice mixing  [] linear   [] ST table

Isn't the table used for mixing STE/Falcon/TT YM sound?

> This should change YmVolumeMixing in sound.c to YM_LINEAR_MIXING or
> YM_TABLE_MIXING.
>
> (we could also add some checkboxes to enable some filters, but I have no
> idea of what filters to use for now, so this can be made later)

Attached are three possible layouts that could be used to fit this to
sound dialog, please pick one. :-)

I can look into this and the add command line option after the configuration
variable is there.

	- Eero