[hatari-devel] FYI: new --desktop option

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Sat Apr 2 22:35:50 CEST 2011

Hi,

On keskiviikko 30 maaliskuu 2011, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> In which order you think these should be preferred in case all of them
> don't fit into screen?  For example if doubling & borders fit fully in
> horizontal direction, but in vertical direction you need to choose
> between the two?
>
> Also, if --desktop option is taken into use for ST/STE screens too, the
> most likely case is a lot of black borders in fullscreen.  Even
> otherwise you're going to have black borders with 460x2 horizontal
> resolution as it doesn't match standard resolutions offered by monitors:
> 	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vector_Video_Standards2.svg
>
> Have you considered adding centering of the ST/STE screen contents so
> that it doesn't just end in top left corner of the resolution provided
> by SDL for fullscreen?

Assuming doubling has more priority than borders, I think you should take
in your code into account also negative border sizes.

User couldn't of course set negative border values in UI or configuration
file, but internal run-time border variables could be negative if only part
of the doubled Atari screen fits to the available resolution, like the
320x240 one available in GPX2.

> Then to the options dialog layout...
> It would be nice to be able to move some of that stuff to the Monitor
> options dialog[1], but I don't think they really would belong there.  :-/
> What do you think?

You said that border values are like monitor settings, so those could
actually be in monitor section.  Assuming that UI has just a knob for
doubling ST/STE low, the dialogs could look like in the attached layout.

Nicolas, what do you think?

	- Eero