[hatari-devel] Crosscompiling Hatari for GP2X Wiz

Nicolas Pomarède npomarede at corp.free.fr
Wed Mar 30 18:50:18 CEST 2011

Le 30/03/2011 18:35, Matthias Arndt a écrit :
> First I want to apologize! I was certainly overreacting here but my main
> point is still valid that the code should be more optional and backward
> compatible.

hi

Note that it's possible to make some libraries optional, and we already
do this for portaudio for example, but it's much harder to support
various version of the same library.

At one point, it's not possible to maintain several code paths in Hatari
to handle too old versions.

For example, SDL 1.2.10 is already 5 years old, trying to stay
compatible with such old version at the expense of adding #ifdef or
things like that will just make the code harder to read and to maintain
(especially if only few people are able to test such setups with old
libraries).

Hatari can try to adapt as possible to various libraries, but at one
point, it's also up to the user to update its building environment (even
if crosscompiling libraries for more exotic system is not an easy task).

We can have options to use more or less ressources when emulating on
lower end system, so that the result remains smooth, but being backward
compatible with old versions of libraries doesn't seem a good option to me.

regards

Nicolas