[hatari-devel] Crosscompiling Hatari for GP2X Wiz

Matthias Arndt marndt at asmsoftware.de
Wed Mar 30 18:35:36 CEST 2011

First I want to apologize! I was certainly overreacting here but my main
point is still valid that the code should be more optional and backward
compatible.

Am Dienstag, den 29.03.2011, 23:12 +0300 schrieb Eero Tamminen:
> Hi,
>
> On tiistai 29 maaliskuu 2011, Matthias Arndt wrote:
> > It is sad that you fulfill my expectations. Your code is the best and
> > all other setups are not valid or outdated or whatever excuse you post
> > here.
>
> Well, it was a bit hard to believe that there's a system that's still being
> developed for but which has this obsolete version of SDL that nobody's
> even interested to update.
>
> Even Atari has a newer version:
> 	http://patrice.mandin.pagesperso-orange.fr/en/port-libs.html
> :-)
>
> Are you really sure GP2X doesn't have a newer libsdl?

I have a binary version of what it seems is 1.2.13. The problem is there
are no header files shipped with it. I will have to ship that libSDL
with hatari anyway because it fixes a sad tearing problem which the
official libSDL from GPH has.

There is a source distribution of this patched libSDL but I really don't
know if I can simply rip the header files and use them with the compiler
environment. I don't want to mess up the working compiler setup I have.

> > What is so difficult to think about backward compatibility or making
> > code parts OPTIONAL at compile time?
>
> I checked what SDL versions all Linux distros ship before adding the
> functionality needed by Laurent (limiting Hatari window to Desktop size
> so that it doesn't crash his X server) and Anders (not changing resolution
> as it messes his OSX virtual desktops).
>
> Only distros where one could still find that old version of SDL is
> the commercial RedHat Enterprise Linux v4 (+ its commercial Oracle &
> free CentOS derivatives) that was released on 2005:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux#Life_Cycle_Dates
>
> None of the currently available Fedora, Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE, Mandriva etc
> distro versions (e.g. Debian oldstable) have it anymore available and of
> course any RHEL distro where new Hatari version would be included will have
> new enough SDL version.

It's still a special feature that could be made entirely optional.
Afterall Hatari had no serious problems before. The whole adaption is a
nice-to-have thing that benefits users of desktop system but hardly
other targets such as handheld consoles.

> > Stop applying the Java "no code has to be optional" approach to portable
> > C sources!
>
> As I don't have that obsolete SDL version, I cannot test functionality
> for it.

But adding a whole #ifdef around the code should be no problem. If it
has been proven the #ifdefs cann still be removed.

> If you want Hatari to have support for SDL versions that nobody else has
> ready access to, you're the one that needs to support them and test that
> this support works.  If that support is really needed and can be added
> cleanly to Hatari, there isn't a problem.

As except for this code piece all compiles we will have to see.

> According to your comments the code & documentation part should look
> something like the attached patch.  SDL seems to have macro for checking
> for SDL version, so it might be possible that it doesn't need changes to
> CMake.

I checked those version macros aswell. The problem is, they only work at
runtime while the problem already occurs at compile time.

> PS. The new SDL requirement is not the only thing that had changed in Hatari
> since v1.4, Thomas for example removed the support for Autotools & plain
> Makefiles (about which I complained a bit at the time :)).

I would use an older source version if Nicolas's code for ST emulation
was backward portable. I want ST(e) emulation, not Falcon so using v0.8
would be ok if I could have all DMA, scroll and overscan patches working
properly.

But I think the latest version can be brought to action aswell.

Please see my other specific posts.

Sorry again for sounding too rude! :(
Matthias
--