[hatari-devel] FYI: new --desktop option

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Wed Mar 23 21:59:12 CET 2011

Hi,

On keskiviikko 23 maaliskuu 2011, Christer Solskogen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Anders Eriksson <ae at dhs.nu> wrote:
> > So I think this might not work on OS X right now.
>
> I might have been to fast (again)
> --desktop only work with TOS 4.04. With 1.62 I got the same results as
> you.

As can be seen from the Hatari help heading under which this option is,
it affects only Falcon/TT display.

This is because the Videl emulation code used for their screens supports
arbitrary integer scaling factors, whereas the screen handling functionality
for ST & STE screens doesn't, it supports just doubling[1].

Anyway, that should be less of an issue for ST & STE emulation as they
aren't constantly changing resolutions like (some) Falcon demos...

[1] ST & STE screen handling functions on the other hand have the advantage
that they use much less CPU if nothing changes on the screen.  This is more
important on machines (handhelds, phones etc) that have barely enough power
to emulate ST/STE.

	- Eero

PS. Attached is a screenshot of how I thought to change the Hatari screen
dialog.