[hatari-devel] So, do you have a planned release date for 1.5.0?

Eero Tamminen oak at helsinkinet.fi
Sun Mar 20 21:25:03 CET 2011

Hi,

On sunnuntai 20 maaliskuu 2011, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
> Le 20/03/2011 19:53, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
> > Anything for the STE PowerUp game STE music? :-)
>
> I didn't remember this one ; what's was wrong, so I can see if I can
> reproduce ?

In Setup menu, set:
- Sound: STE stereo
- Music: STE stereo

-> Music you hear is almost pure noise.

I don't really remember what was the issue, maybe something about the DMA
play length being zero?

> > It would be nice if somebody on this list could check the things that
> > are in the compability list mentioned to have issues with Hatari v1.0
> > or before: - Enchanted Lands
>
> The versions I used always worked. What meant "doesn't load at all" ?
> Did it stop after Thalion intro or before ?

I'm nore sure.

> Could be related to the protection, but I don't have an original version
> to check it. I think we can remove this "orange" warning.

OK.

> > - F15 Strike Eagle 2 (I'd remove this if nobody can test it)
>
> I think Thomas committed some fix for this some times ago.

Any idea to which version of Hatari?

>> - DevPac 2.2 Monst (crashy)
>
> Never crashed for me ; since Hatari now handles some complex 68000
> protections using stacks/exceptions/... I think we can remove this one
> too.

OK.  Any idea when did it start to work / what's the earliest version of
Hatari in which you remember it working fine?

I wonder was this something similar to issue Pure debugger apparently had
with the Gemdos emulation which was fixed for v1.4?

>> - Neochrome (rasters)
>
> Someone should test this, but I don't think it's still valid.

Me neither.  I tested quickly Neochrome master in some earlier Hatari
version and didn't see anything, but without knowing what was the initial
issue, it's hard to say anything about it.
-> Maybe set the version to v1.3 where you did lot of video fixes...

> > - Protracker STE (50kHz replay)
>
> I don't know protracker STE enough to judge its quality ; if someone has
> some examples I will have a look.

Does the list have any (former) Protracker STE users who could check this?

>> I tested several Falcon demos using DSP with the old core and it seems
>> that several have regressed (at least couple EKO's&  Lazer's demos,
>> Hmmm demo).
> I wouldn't call these "regressions" in that case, because it was more or
> less working by luck with old cpu core : dsp code was tailored to make
> the demo works with a bad cycle counting. Now that we have correct
> timing in new cpu core, dsp was adjusted to work in the "correct" way.
>
> I don't think we need to "maintain" DSP with old cpu core, regressions
> will happen, but huge improvements will happen too with new cpu core
> -> dsp issues with only old cpu core should now be discarded/ignored if
> the programs work with new cpu core.

Ok, in that case this probably needs to be mentioned in the release notes[1]
and compatibility list needs to state[2] something about it too.

[1] e.g. "Some DSP-timing sensitive Falcon demos that by luck happened to
   work with Hatari v1.4, don't work anymore in v1.5 with the default AUE
   CPU core.  This is because while DSP cycle accuracy has been improved,
   the default UAE CPU core isn't fully cycle accurate.  The experimental
   WinAUE core is needed to run them, please see Hatari README for more
   information on that."

[2] e.g. "More DSP-timing critical demos, like the ones using DSP
    MP2-player, work only with the experimental WinAUE core. Please see
    Hatari README for more information on that.

README could also state that we hope to have the WinAUE core as default
in next Hatari release, but old AUE could still be (configured and) used if
speed is an issue.