[hatari-devel] Videl changes

Anders Eriksson ae at dhs.nu
Sat Feb 5 13:45:03 CET 2011

On Sat, 5 Feb 2011, Laurent Sallafranque wrote:

> I'm nearly sure that none of the ST overscan demos would run natively on the
> Falcon.

Correct.

> Falcon plasmas are all running well (from what I know), which mean they don't
> use video tricks but colors "rotations" or something else.
>
> Last point : I haven't found a program that changes the palette except in the
> left border. If you know one...

The videl have a bug regarding updates of the colour registers. When
updating a colour register, the videl will show garbage pixels meanwhile
the colour is set. This makes it impossible to implement classic ST
plasmas or Spectrum 512 things. As if the variable bus load and caches
weren't enough to put you off already :-)

Other games which work on Falcon that uses some STe video features are
Stardust (top/bottom borders), Obsession (top/bottom/left borders as well
as screen splits), Utopos (top/bottom borders and screen splits),
Substation (top/bottom borders in the intro).

I think in Obsession on Falcon/VGA you can see the videl bug with garbage
pixels during colour change. On VGA the HBL moves twice as fast and there
are no borders, so the colour switch comes in the middle of the screen
there hence showing the bug.

--
Anders Eriksson
ae at dhs.nu     http://www.dhs.nu/