[hatari-devel] Improved right border with 224 bytes overscan + hscroll

Nicolas Pomarède npomarede at corp.free.fr
Mon Dec 13 22:50:39 CET 2010

Le 13/12/2010 21:56, Eero Tamminen a écrit :

> The last line in Cernit has wrong pixels in several overscan
> screens, is this an issue in the demo?

I think it's just because hatari displays all possible scanlines, which
you don't see on most monitors on a real STE. As such, left/right
borders are often not removed on the last scanlines by demo coders,
because it wouldn't be visible anyway.

>> as well as Save The Earth by Defence Force.
>
> This has still something funny on the right border in some screens
> (for example in the IRC channel thing :)).  I guess that's an issue in
> the demo itself?

Yes, due to the 8 pixels shifting on the left caused by overscan, this
creates 8 black pixels on the right, which sometimes show the raster colors.

I need to improve this a little in the atari->sdl conversion, as these
pixels should only be visible if the right border display ~88 pixels
(not if you display 48 pixels in left/right border as usual).

This 8 black pixels should not be on the last 8 pixels of the SDL
screen, they should be on the last 8 pixels of the Atari screen. If SDL
show less pixels than a full STF/STE line (460 pixels), these 8 black
pixels should not be visible.
Well, this is next on my todo list :)

Nicolas