[hatari-devel] Bug report: USB joypad axis

Matthias Arndt marndt at asmsoftware.de
Mon Nov 8 21:15:10 CET 2010

Hello,

I started a fix by introducing the axis IDs into the JOYREADING
structure, adding a plausibility check aswell.

How do I export a proper patch/diff for you to review without committing
the fix yet?

-- IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT --

Regarding the configuration options, I tried the brute force approach
and it worked. HOWEVER (and that's why I don't want to make it a patch
feature yet) I discovered that:

- the Joystick sections in the configuration file save the information
for the possible ST joysticks and NOT the SDL joystick!

It makes not much sense to store the axis mapping with the ST joystick
information because it is SDL related only.

Shall we introduce a configuration section per SDL joystick now?
Problem there is that due to the USB sticks in use the available sticks
may vary between 0 and x without having to recompile Hatari or make a
new config file.

Furthermore the mapping should be saved together with the name of the
SDL joystick in use because there ID might change depending on the order
the pads are plugged in.

So we don't want to store mapping for SDL joystick 0 and 1 but for "USB
Gamepad" and "Sidewinder" regardless of their current SDL id.

Any valuable design discussion and design ideas are needed here!

cheers,
Matthias
--
Matthias Arndt <marndt at asmsoftware.de>