[hatari-devel] Redirecting CON: to console

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Sat Oct 16 22:33:28 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Saturday 09 October 2010, Anders Eriksson wrote:
>> Second feature is about making virtual newdesk.inf, specify there
>> autorun program so someone like me can assign some keyboard shortcut
>> for running hatari in specified host directory and run a just-compiled
>> demo directly in emulator, without a need to click in desktop etc.

I think this is very convenient for testing different demos etc, especially
when one's testing different fixes to Hatari itself.  That's why I was so
interested on implementing it...

I.e. it's most convenient for testing different programs whereas your
use-case is about testing the same program.

> just wanted to share how I do it. Instead of doing complex build systems
> or intercommunication between IDE<>Hatari
> I simply run a CLI shell on the Atari side with a one letter alias to
> run the binary.

"hconsole" doesn't listen to commands except from its stdin, otherwise
you could tell it to insert that one letter alias to Hatari at the end of
your Eclipse Makefile. :-)

(I might at some point add also a "command fifo" where one can echo
requests to it.)

> A little example of building+running a demo:
> http://ae.dhs.nu/pics/hataridev.mp4
>
> Eclipse IDE, VASM to build, Mupfel as Atari shell and I think it's
> quicker than start up a new Hatari + TOS bootup..

Sure, that's much simpler. :-)