[hatari-devel] Hatari performance issue on OSX

Jerome Vernet vernet.jerome at wanadoo.fr
Thu May 27 18:55:16 CEST 2010

Le 27/05/10 00:19, Eero Tamminen a écrit :

> Btw. I had forgotten that OSX is using 32-bit screen, so there's more
> overhead than on my system from the conversion as it needs to deal
> with more data (I'm running 16-bit myself).  That doesn't seem to grow
> so much though.

Here is what I found:

>/  The Right Thing (tm) to do is letting SDL select color depth (ie. set
/>/  bitsperpixel to 0 in SDL_SetVideoMode()), then convert all surfaces to
/>/  that depth with SDL_DisplayFormat(). Anything else will cause nasty
/>/  overhead if the environment does not match perfectly. You should also
/>/  check if you're using hardware surfaces correctly, if any.

May be it can help ? The last point (SDL_HWSURFACE) doesn't help. I tried to force bpp to 0. Looks like it's better (and working in Falcon mode), but not sure.

Jerome
/