[hatari-devel] Hatari performance issue on OSX

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Mon May 24 22:37:23 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Monday 17 May 2010, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> On Thursday 13 May 2010, Anders Eriksson wrote:
> > | Machine     | W1x | W2x | FS1x | FS2x |
> > |=======================================|
> > | Macbook Pro | 35% | 65% | 21%  | 23%  |
> > |---------------------------------------|
> > | VMware      | 19% | 20% | 18%  | 19%  |
> > |---------------------------------------|
> > | Mac Mini    | 31% | 76% | 15%  | 18%  |
> > |---------------------------------------|
> > | U9200       | 35% | 37% | 23%  | 26%  |
> >
> >   ---------------------------------------
> >
> > W1x = Windowed mode 1x zoom
> > W2x = Windowed mode 2x zoom
> > FS1x = Fullscreen mode 1x zoom
> > FS2x = Fullscreen mode 2x zoom
>
> Thanks!
>
> What the percentage is?  Whole system CPU usage?  Hatari CPU usage?
> I guess these numbers are with the slowed down Hatari?
>
> What are the numbers when you set frame skip to 1?

Anders, could you check how that affects the numbers?

> > So what conclusions we can draw from this is that running Hatari inside
> > a virtual machine with Ubuntu is (much) faster than running it native
> > in OS X. Both for windowed mode and fullscreen mode. This if anything
> > should make it pretty clear that something is not done perfectly in the
> > OS X rendering.
>
> In which process(es) the CPU is spent according to "top"?

And whether it's Hatari where the CPU goes or to some OSX system process
(as I currently suspect), and in which process CPU usage changes most when
you toggle zooming and frameskip?

[...]
> Try enable compositing on Linux and see whether you get the same effect
> as what happens on OSX.

My HW is too old to work with compositing and I'm not sure whether WMware
(nowadays) support OpenGL either, but you could test it on your U9200.

Or did you already have compositing (Desktop GL effects) enabled on it or
your WMware Ubuntu installation?