[hatari-devel] hatariui not working

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Tue May 18 22:51:19 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tuesday 18 May 2010, Laurent Sallafranque wrote:
> Really nice work.
> I'll lauch it everytime now.

I think that too.  :-)  It should be especially nice for beginners because
of the help stuff and big buttons for things like fast-forward, pausing etc.

For "veteran" Hatari users the UI configurability is probably the most
interesting thing. You can specify on command line what buttons the UI has
and on which side of the Hatari window they are.

By default hatariui script uses these options:
	hatariui.py --right "about,|,run,pause,forward,|,reset,|,quit" --embed $*

But you can have panels on all sides of the Hatari window with all the
controls Hatari UI provides, see the end of hatariui script for an example
of this.

The UI has currently some limitations though (even for novices):
* It doesn't support everything one can currently do from the Hatari's SDL
  based options dialogs
  - And when using Hatari UI, you're not suppposed to change Hatari's
    settings from Hatari's own SDL interface as Hatari UI doesn't have any
    means to catch/notice these.
* Startup is slower because it needs to get also Python up and running
   and there's some flicker when it re-parents Hatari window.
* It's less tested and features in it will lag a bit updates in Hatari code

But I'm interested to hear about any improvement ideas!

Please look also to the python-ui/TODO file.

> Did you plan to add the DSP debugging in the python interface ?

I've added so many features to the debugger that I don't think it's really
feasible to provide them all in the Hatari UI debugger.

Because of this, the debugger UI is of secondary priority for me.  It's just
easier if one presses AltGr+Pause and does the debugger stuff in the console
where one started Hatari UI.

But i've thought that I could eventually add features for monitoring and
viewing what happens within the emulation i.e. disasm, memdump, profile etc
(including DSP).  Maybe also single stepping / continuing some number of
steps. But breakpoints not.

(I have no idea how the control would go back to the Hatari UI from Hatari
when a breakpoint is hit.)

Before doing any major work on the Debugger UI, I would first like some
suggestions where these features would go in the UI though.  Screen
mockups, hand drawn & scanned or something done with Glade would be
nice. :-)