[hatari-devel] Write protection options?

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Sun May 2 13:27:01 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Sunday 18 April 2010, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> On Sunday 18 April 2010, Eero Tamminen wrote:
>> While going through Hatari options in the SDL options GUI, I noticed
>> that we have floppy write protection option which can be off, on or
>> auto. Auto means that protection is taken from the floppy image
>> access rights. This doesn't have command line option.
>>
>> Then we have GEMDOS HD emu which write protection can be only on or
>> off. This has --mount-changes command line option.
>>
>> I was wondering whether it would make sense to have command line
>> options for both, and with similar names, like this:
>>   --write-protect-floppy <off/on/auto>
>>   --write-protect-hd <off/on/auto>

These were a bit too long, new options are:
  --protect-floppy <x> Write protect floppy contents (on/off/auto)
  --protect-hd <x>     Write protect harddrive <dir> contents (on/off/auto)

>> The HD protection would for now be only GEMDOS emulation but I think
>> it could be expanded to ACSI and IDE emulation too.
>>
>> For GEMDOS emulation "auto" setting would mean that just Fattrib()
>> calls fail.
>>

>> Besides the --mount-changes option, the configuration file
>> bDoGemdosChanges option name would change to nWriteProtection like
>> it's for Floppies.
>>

> > The reason to do the change before release is that they haven't been
> > in any release yet...

Nicolas, I'm going to add/change these before release (today), I don't want
-mount-changes / bDoGemdosChanges to go out.

Once the protect-* options are there, I add the support for them to
the Python UI too (couldn't do it before the options are there).

> Btw. Currently the boot drive is specified according to which floppy or
> hd image or gemdos dir is given last on the command line.  This
> _implicit_ thing overrides whatever is set in the configuration file.
> Sometimes it has confused users.
>
> I wonder whether that should be removed (at least for other things than
> floppy image given as argument instead of as option) and instead an
 > explicit option added to change the boot drive from what's set in the
> configuration?
>
> Or if only a new option:
> 	--boot-drive <a-z>
 >
> Is added, should it be made so that it will override any boot drive
> settings implied by other command line options?

This is something to consider after v1.4, it's a change to what was there
already in v1.3 and needs more testing regardless of how it's done.