[hatari-devel] Caps Lock bug in maxYMiser

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Sun Mar 21 18:48:54 CET 2010

Hi,

On Sunday 21 March 2010, Anders Eriksson wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> > I just noticed this in the SDL release notes:
> > 	http://www.libsdl.org/release/changes-1.2.html
> >
> > You need to use SDL_DISABLE_LOCK_KEYS environment variable to enable
> > normal up/down events for Caps-Lock and Num-Lock keys.
> >
> > Support for that was added in SDL v1.2.14 released last October.
> >
> > If it works fine for you, I guess we could enable it in Hatari too if
> > you tell what value we should use for it (if that doesn't change things
> > for Linux).  Setting environment variable doesn't harm anything
> > although one would use Hatari with a version of SDL that doesn't
> > support some particular variable.
>
> that did the trick! Enabling it in Hatari would be a good idea I guess as
> at least one more program (that is popular amongst many) to work better.
>
> export SDL_DISABLE_LOCK_KEYS=1
>
> Is what I set it to.

Seems that Debian 1.2.13 version of SDL has backported support for
SDL_DISABLE_LOCK_KEYS environment variable (checked from source).

But when I tested it, for me setting the variable actually causes
the MYM problem you reported earlier... So I guess it depends on how
operating system reports these keys and this variable kind of
reverses the effect of that.

This variable could be mentioned in the documentation[1] though, once
there's more data on which OSes, SDL version etc combinations this variable
works and how.

	- Eero

[1] Maybe "OSX and Windows notes" section in Manual as Linux is the primary
    platform for Hatari.