[hatari-devel] CMake floppy target

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Sun Mar 21 14:25:44 CET 2010

Hi,

On Sunday 21 March 2010, Thomas Huth wrote:
> Eero Tamminen <eerot at users.berlios.de> wrote:
> > Scanning dependencies of target Floppy
> > [  1%] Building C object src/CMakeFiles/Floppy.dir/dim.c.o
> > [  2%] Building C object src/CMakeFiles/Floppy.dir/msa.c.o
> > [  3%] Building C object src/CMakeFiles/Floppy.dir/st.c.o
> > [  4%] Building C object src/CMakeFiles/Floppy.dir/zip.c.o
> > Linking C static library
> > libFloppy.a
> >
> > I wonder why unzip.c isn't there.  It's needed by zip.c which is
> > already included and it's needed by hmsa that links Floppy library:
>
> unzip.c is not part of the floppy subsystem. It's generic zip
> uncompression functions. It is also used by other parts of Hatari, e.g.
> for loading zipped TOS ROM images.

Why zip.c is there?  It's used by other parts of Hatari too, at least
file.c, and it depends on unzip.c.

> > Btw. Wouldn't it make sense to put these C files to a separate
> > subdirectory and do the library also with normal Makefiles, not just
> > with CMake?
>
> Do you think that it still makes sense to spent this extra effort for
> the old Makefiles? We should really focus on _one_ build system,

I'll maintain it.

> and soon get rid of this double maintenance.

CMake stuff doesn't work for me properly yet (and I'm not completely happy
with the defaults it uses).  I guess we'll see after Hatari 1.4 release
whether there are others with similar issues.

I'm fine for removing the normal Makefiles sometime before v1.5 release,
then the CMake stuff should be tested widely & working well enough.