[hatari-devel] New Monitor/Window options dialog feedback?

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Sun Mar 21 10:56:53 CET 2010

Hi,

On Saturday 20 March 2010, Jerome Vernet wrote:
> > I think I've now handled all the issues Thomas raised below.
> >
> > Does it now work e.g. more robustly in regards to available display
> > resolutions than what we had previously?  Also on OSX?
>
> I was able to set a max doubled resolution (1280x896) greater than the
> real max resolution (1280x800) on my mac, causing a crash will toggling
> to full screen.

Thanks for checking this out!

It's not a crash as such, but an abort because SDL couldn't find suitable
video mode.  But it can be pretty bad for user if he's saved that config, so
this definitely needs to be fixed.

On Linux this seems to happen only for fullscreen, normal window sizes can
be arbitrarily large.

I added code to check largest available resolution and to limit the user
provided maximum resolution to that.  It's checked on each screen size
change as it depends on the fullscreen flag.

To make this functionality available both for ST/STe stuff from screen.c and
to Falcon/TT stuff from hostscreen.c, I needed to split it into a separate
file, but Makefiles should catch that.

I'd like this to be checked a bit more too as it was a bit larger change:
	http://hg.berlios.de/repos/hatari/rev/db1c0fd41108

> I really cannot undestand how this Max Doubled resolution work. It do
> something even on Mac OsX. For example, I've put 1024x768. Falcon Low
> RES show in a bigger windows than High Res, is it normal ?

After doing the aspect correction (doubling), Hatari zooms the Falcon
resolution as close to the specified max resolution as it can.

However, as it's using integer zooming factors, it's possible that smaller
resolution is scaled physically larger (when it matches better the
resolution when zoomed).  On CRT monitors used on Atari's, the monitor would
take care that the resolution always "fills" the whole screen.  With integer
scaling that's not always possible.

If you want to see resolutions as non-zoomed, set max zoom so small
that things aren't zoomed (easiest with "--zoom 1").

I wonder whether there should now be a checkbox for "Disable Zooming"...?