[hatari-devel] Caps Lock bug in maxYMiser

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Sat Mar 20 16:18:43 CET 2010

Hi,

On Saturday 20 March 2010, Anders Eriksson wrote:
> I just want to report a bug that appears in maxYMiser
> (http://www.preromanbritain.com/maxymiser/) when editing music.
>
> Caps Lock key inserts a note off command when editing a track. In Hatari
> the Caps Lock key gets stuck and fills the pattern with note off commands
> until you press Caps Lock again. On a real STe, there is only one note
> off command sent of course.
>
> Video to illustrate: http://ae.dhs.nu/tmp/noteoff.mp4

My VLC doesn't play this properly. :-/

> First I just insert a couple of random notes, then I press Caps Lock once
> to do a note off - but as you can see it repeats.
>
> This is with Hatari 1.3.1 or HG as of last night on OS X 10.6, but XiA
> also reports it to be the same in Windows.

Doesn't happen for me on Debian/Linux.

Little Googling indicates that this is an issue in Windows/SDL, with some
old Mac keyboards and with obsolete (proprietary) X servers.

Quote from OpenArena forum:
I have looked a little around on the Internet and found that it might be
possible to compile a new SDL.dll that has working Caps Lock/Num Lock keys
and solve mouse problem.

Caps and Num Lock works in Debian because Debian has 'fixed' the problem.
That fix should be possible in Windows too. (The SDL documentation
recommends a custom SDL compile if you want to allow Caps Lock to work as a
normal button)

You could try a newer SDL version to see whether it fixes the issue.