[hatari-devel] New Monitor/Window options dialog feedback?

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Mon Mar 15 21:47:21 CET 2010

Hi,

Any comments on these?

On Saturday 13 March 2010, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> > 2) "Window" is also somewhat misleading. Hatari runs also on systems
> > that do not have a window manager at all (e.g. Wii). I suggest to use
> > "Video" or "Host screen" or something similar instead.
>
> Hm.  Should the "Monitor" dialog name to change too?
> Then it would be "Atari screen" and "Host screen".
>
> > 3) The "Max doubled" resolution setting feels very unintuitive. It took
> > me a while till a figured out that I now have to increase the
> > horizontal resolution to 832 instead of 800 to enable zooming of ST low
> > resolution (with borders).
>
> That of course depends on one's border values (and therefore I like your
> suggestion later on).  The default max resolution values can be set so
> that screen gets doubled also with max borders.

I updated the default resolution.

> > The normal Hatari users likely do not now about the
> > resolution of the emulated system, so I guess they will be _very_
> > confused when they try to enable or disable the  zooming now. I suggest
> > to add the "Zoom low resolution" checkbox again to avoid this confusing
> > situation.
>
> How it should work UI wise?  Use of that conflicts with specifying the
> size of resolution.

It could only work to disable zooming.  And I'm not sure how useful that
really is in addition to being able set max resolution...?

> And if the resolution of whatever the "Zoom low resolution" uses, isn't
> suitable for the user, that's even worse.  One of the reasons for being
> able to specify the resolution is making sure that it will fit suitably
> to users' screen[1].  I.e. user can put there his screen size and Hatari
> adopts to that.
>
> [1] Therefore I made max resolution to have more priority than borders
> setting (and user gets a dialog when it doesn't fit).
>
> > Another idea: Instead of using "Max doubled" resolution setting, you
> > could rename it to "Preferred resolution"
>
> The problem with that name is that user isn't going to get his preferred
> resolution:
> - Falcon/TT resolution have only integer scaling factor
> - ST/STE resolution only doubles
>
> So I'd rather keep the "Max" in the name...
>
> > or so, and then for ST/STE mode, you could use it to configure
> > the border sizes in zoomed mode instead  (i.e. the nWindowBorderPixels
> > and nFullScreenBorderPixels settings).
> > What do you think?
>
> That sounds better, but if border size is taken from Max size, what
> should them be done about the border pixels settings?
>
> Remove them?  Use them as maximum border values?

To me it seems like both the normal window mode and fullscreen border values
could be removed from configuration.  The screen.c border pixel values can
be set automatically based on how much space there's left.

I don't see why it should be necessary to be able to individually control
how many pixels are shown on each side of the screen?  Anybody who wants
to see all of borders, should just allow large enough resolution.

> I guess, unlike now, doubling will then have more priority over having
> borders?  I mean, if user specifies 640x400 as max resoution, he would
> get doubled low res without borders...

Right?