[hatari-devel] cmake doesn't find readline

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Sun Feb 21 16:54:48 CET 2010

Hi,

On Sunday 21 February 2010, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:06:37 +0100 (CET)
> > I don't know if this is the most efficient way to fix this, but it
> > fixed the problem and readline is working under the debugger.
>
> Looks like the right fix to me, please commit it!
>
> > Another "problem" : after running cmake, "hg diff" is now reporting
> > all the Makefile files in the various subdirs as being modified (as
> > they were replaced by the cmake version). Which means a "hg ci/push"
> > would overwrite the original Makefile files on berlios, which may not
> > be what we want.
> >
> > Is there a way to handle this ?
>
> Yes, there are several solutions:
>
> 1) Force Eero to also use cmake, than we can remove the old
>    Makefiles ;-)

I would say there are still quite a few (niche I guess, like Atari :-))
platforms where Makefiles are better supported than CMake (even CMake
itself uses make on Linux).  Maybe after v1.4, I'll support Makefiles until
that.

Btw. I quickly looked into the configure.ac and as the *.in files are
already removed, configure.ac itself cannot work anymore.   I.e. feel free
to remove it.

> 2) Use "make distclean" before the check-in, this should remove the
>    generated Makefiles
> 3) Do an out-of-source build instead, i.e. run the initial "cmake" from
>    a separate folder that is not part of the source tree.

I think this is the best alternative.  Maybe the "configure" wrapper you've
added for CMake could automatically cause the build to be done in a separate
build subdirectory?