[hatari-devel] Issue with switching - fullscreen/windowed mode

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Wed Feb 10 20:17:42 CET 2010

Hi,

On Wednesday 10 February 2010, Anders Eriksson wrote:
> So a 60 Hz (or even 50..) is perfectly
> stable, nothing like a CRT at all. Something tells me it's time you
> tested some more modern hardware than mid 90's ;-)

At least on some mobile device LCDs the refresh rate of e.g. 50Hz
looks really awful.  Not sure why, maybe it's a question of backlight
& power saving and not relevant to what computer monitor LCDs do.

On Wednesday 10 February 2010, Anders Eriksson wrote:
> > I still don't understand.  How do you expect Hatari to be able to do
> > the scaling better?
>
> By doing a scaling without interpolation.

I know about different scaling algorithms, I just don't understand why
your monitor/configuration cannot do that.  It's fixed to algorighm that's
best for video?

> > Hatari has many things that could be better, but if nobody else can
> > reproduce the issue you have, even on OSX, that at least indicates that
> > the issue is in your environment (besides meaning that it's impossible
> > to fix the issue without help from you).
>
> I have four machines with OS X, and all behave the same.
> As you can see, two CPU types, four differnt resolutions with both 16:10
> and 16:9 aspect ratios, two OS versions and three different GPU's.

Hm.  Then it's probably the ancient Hatari version you're using.

You said that your Hatari is about year old.  There have been two releases
since that time, There was one bug that manifested on OSX that was fixed in
1.3, about half a year ago.  On some OSX builds frameskip variable got
overwritten (overwrite dependend how compiler located the variables), maybe
in your case some other variable related to resolution got overwritten.