[hatari-devel] Issue with switching - fullscreen/windowed mode

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Tue Feb 9 22:02:08 CET 2010

Hi,

On Tuesday 09 February 2010, Jean-Baptiste Berlioz wrote:
> >> interpolated scaling - it looks well on movies and images, but
> >> not for pixel graphics which should have sharp edges not interpolated
> >> such.
> >
> > I still don't understand.  How do you expect Hatari to be able to do
> > the scaling better?
>
> Nearest-neighbor interpolation looks better when scaling an low-res
> picture to a high-res screen :
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nearest-neighbor_interpolation
>
> - switch to fullscreen, keep the desktop resolution.
> - stretch the picture (nearest-neighbor)
> - enjoy big sharp pixels

But the question is how Hatari is supposed to know that monitor has crappy
scaling (I doubt monitors advertise these kind of properties even if SDL
would support it)?  Or why (some?) LCDs don't implement proper scaling
algorithms?

Trying to "fix" that in Hatari is not so useful if most LCDs have already
proper scaling algorighms...?

Btw. One more thing I forgot to mention in defence of CRTs :-)...
Most LCDs I've seen, have a fixed, inferior refresh rate, usually 60Hz
I think.  At least in earlier LCDs I've seen and used, this gives too
flickery display for my tastes, and it cannot be used to emulate Atari 71Hz
high-res display properly (for example Mgif had an image display mode which
relied on that to work properly and which I've had used to view all my
povray rendereing results)...