[hatari-devel] Issue with switching - fullscreen/windowed mode

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Mon Feb 8 22:05:47 CET 2010

Hi,

On Monday 08 February 2010, Jerome Vernet wrote:
> I tried your patch on my OSX Build. I do not have (with or without the
> patch) any garbage.

Ok.  I see, Dprintf() when undefined collapses to ";" so the logic will
still work.  But I think the errors in that function still need to be always
output, Dprintf is intended for debugging info, not for errors. (I.e. I will
commit it when doing fixing this bug).

> The only thing I get is, in full screen, a bad centered screen and,

Hm.  On my machine Hatari is always centered on fullscreen, but that's
not done by the Hatari code, it's done by SDL.  I think this is bug in
the OSX SDL backend.

> when switch back to windowed mode, a large black
> vertical stripe on the right in hires Falcon mode. Two black stripe
> (right and left) in low res. This only happen with Falcon Modes, not ST
> Modes.

Thanks, that explains the issue!

These are doing things differently.  ST mode always recalculates the window
size on fullscreen switch and changes the video mode, Falcon code first
tries just toggling the fullscreen mode and if that fails, getting a new
resolution based on the previous _host_ resolution, not currently selected
Atari resolution.

I guess this was to support TT mode also as Hatari's TT emulation uses
Falcon screen code, but doesn't use Videl, so the screen code cannot just
check the Atari resolution size from Videl...

I think that code needs to keep track of the sizes requested by other
emulation code (i.e. Videl and TT res switch) and the sizes it uses for
the SDL surface which are adapted according to whatever resolutions
the display supports.

This should be easy to fix, but I want to do some debugger improvements
first, so it probably goes to end of this week.

> When switching to full screen, SDL change the screen resolution to what,
> I suppose, best match the Atari resolution. But this will not cause any
> problem on my MacBook, even with Photoshop.

Good to know.

But I guess you're using the latest Hatari (version control) version, not
some ancient version like Anders?  Maybe your Photoshop version is also
a newer one?