[hatari-devel] Issue with switching - fullscreen/windowed mode

Anders Eriksson ae at dhs.nu
Mon Feb 8 08:30:13 CET 2010

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010, Eero Tamminen wrote:

> So the use case is just:
> - Start Hatari in Falcon mode with TOS4
> - Switch the video mode to "True color" from desktop
> - Switch fullscreen on (F11)
> - Switch fullscreen off
> ?

Yes, except that fullscreen is switched with Command-F in OS X (which is
standard for all Apps in OS X so that's fine).

> Can you apply the attached patch, set VIDEL_DEBUG at the beginning of
> falcon/hostscreen.c from 0 to 1, re-compile and tell whether the bug is
> still there and if it is, what Hatari outputs on this use-case?

I havn't been able to build Hatari for over a year, there is always some
breakage for the Xcode project, and I'm too lame to fix it myself.

>>   a) it takes the LCD screen some time to resync for the new resolution
>>
>>   b) it sets the resolution so low that it won't fit the ST/Falcon
>> resolutions properly
>
> This one sounds like Hatari bug, but I need to debug output.

As far as I can tell it sets the screen to 800x600 but the display should
be at least 832 width to fit all ST borders. So the display is cropped.

> Why?  This has never been a problem on Linux.
>
> If the apps resize when resolution changes although they aren't even
> visible, I'd say that's an OS or application bug.   And them not resizing
> back to original sizes & positions unless user has changed them in the
> meanwhile sounds like another (application specific) bug.

Yeah why would it ever be a problem with Hatari and the rest of the world
is wrong. I should have expected that answer, really :)

>>   d) the LCD performs interpolated scaling so pixels won't be as sharp as
>> they would with decent doubling/tripling etc of pixels to the native
>> resolution
>
> This would be a problem in your LCD (or SDL) driver or configuration.
> It shouldn't be offering bad resolutions to Hatari as Hatari has no way to
> know which of them are bad.  On CRT the scaling is "perfect" because CRTs
> don't have a fixed resolution with bad scaling, but actually support the
> resolutions they claim to.

No it's not a problem with my LCD, it's how they work. That's why more or
less all other apps when run in fullscreen uses the graphics card for
scaling to native resolution. Then it can be done with or without
interpolation, whatever works best for the specific case, the switch to
fullscreen is instant as well as it doesn't need to re-sync anything.

But yeah CRT should be the standard norm when the entire world have
stopped using them :-)

--
Anders Eriksson
ae at dhs.nu     http://www.dhs.nu/