[hatari-devel] CMake build system

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Mon Jan 25 21:05:42 CET 2010

Hi,

On Monday 25 January 2010, Thomas Huth wrote:
> Sorry, but this will only cause confusion. If we announce mic input
> support on the one hand, and then let the user run into this
> oh-by-the-way-the-autoconf-build-system-does-not-support-portaudio
> problem ... no, that's not a good idea.

It doesn't even need to be in configure.ac.  It can be handled by
putting pkg-config stuff from Makefile.cnf to Makefile.cnf.in directly.

Configure.ac update is needed only if you want user to be notified (at
configure time) that lack of portaudio means missing Falcon mic support.

Anything else that's missing from configure.ac?

> > CMake is getting popular, but it's not necessarily yet on all
> > platforms on which Hatari is currently being build (BSD?  Wii?
> > Maemo?  Amiga?).
>
> It's certainly available on BSD and other unix-style operating systems.
> Concerning Wii, Amiga and the other exotic systems... I don't think that
> they were really using autoconf, but rather edited Makefile.cnf
> directly

Fair enough.

> (and I didn't talk about removing the old Makefiles yet).

Now you scared me... :-)

> > > I do not want to update this stuff anymore, do you?
> >
> > Me neither, but I don't see any problem in keeping it still around for
> > a while, while it works OK.
>
> Do you know whether the configure.ac is still working at all? Have you
> tried recently? At least I haven't tried it since the last release...
>
> So for keeping this file, I suggest that somebody volunteers to take over
> the maintainance. If nobody volunteers, I'll remove it at the next
> weekend.

Ok, ok... :-)

I'll test & update it for the next release (or earlier if somebody complains
about it not working).  I added todo item about that to myself into Hatari
todo list.