[hatari-devel] Wotanoid problem : final fix before commit ?

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Mon Jan 25 20:52:26 CET 2010

Hi,

On Sunday 24 January 2010, Thomas Huth wrote:
> BUT: According to http://toshyp.atari.org/005001.htm, the GEMDOS does
> not preserve the registers D0 - D2 during the trap, so D2 might have
> been altered to another value during the Fopen !
> So this load function might just work by accident on a real Falcon.
>
> I suggest you try the following:
>
> 1) Create an IDE hard disk image and copy the game on it
> 2) Check wether it works from IDE disk now after you modified
>    ioMemTabFalcon.c

Doesn't need IDE hard disk, running it from a HD floppy image is enough
after the ioMemTabFalcon.c patch.   As a game, Wotanoid is pretty crappy
though.

Btw. Why Hatari GUI supports creating only floppy images with sizes up to
950kB?  E.g. Falcon supports 1.44MB HD floppy drives.

Heck, even my old STFm supported HD floppies fine after I had soldered one
NAND chip[1] inside it and replaced the DD-drive with HD one + had small
utility in auto/-folder.

> 3) Add a breakpoint right before the above Fread trap to look at D2
>    when you've loaded the game from IDE disk.
> 4) Add a breakpoint right after the above Fread trap to look at D0
>    when you've loaded the game from IDE disk... maybe this helps to
>    understand the details of this problem.

	- Eero

[1] When I soldered it some 15 years ago, it's pins were already rusty
(it was the only one I found at home when I got the urge to try that).
But the HD drive still worked when I last tried my STfm last fall. :-)