[hatari-devel] CMake build system

Thomas Huth huth at users.berlios.de
Mon Jan 25 20:50:36 CET 2010

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 21:06:20 +0200
Eero Tamminen <eerot at users.berlios.de> wrote:

> Hi,

> > > As it still works I'd just mark it as deprecated for the next
> > > release and remove it after that.
> >
> > Why? configure.ac is already out-of-date (it's missing the portaudio
> > test)
>
> Portaudio is only needed for mic and usually that means that the
> machine needs to be fast enough to run DSP code at good speed
> (otherwise recordings most likely don't sound so good), so I think
> it's a minor wart.  Code builds fine without portaudio (and with
> portaudio when using default Makefile if one has installed the
> appropriate dev package).

Sorry, but this will only cause confusion. If we announce mic input
support on the one hand, and then let the user run into this
oh-by-the-way-the-autoconf-build-system-does-not-support-portaudio
problem ... no, that's not a good idea.

> CMake is getting popular, but it's not necessarily yet on all
> platforms on which Hatari is currently being build (BSD?  Wii?
> Maemo?  Amiga?).

It's certainly available on BSD and other unix-style operating systems.
Concerning Wii, Amiga and the other exotic systems... I don't think that
they were really using autoconf, but rather edited Makefile.cnf
directly (and I didn't talk about removing the old Makefiles yet).

> > and the old Xcode project will be broken again as soon as we
> > introduce a new file or rename an existing file.
>
> Was configure.ac used also for Xcode stuff?

No, see Hatari.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj - it's an ugly file created by
the IDE, which also differs a little bit from Xcode version to the
other, so it's also ugly to maintain this file in a versioning system.

> > I do not want to update this stuff anymore, do you?
>
> Me neither, but I don't see any problem in keeping it still around for
> a while, while it works OK.

Do you know whether the configure.ac is still working at all? Have you
tried recently? At least I haven't tried it since the last release...

So for keeping this file, I suggest that somebody volunteers to take over
the maintainance. If nobody volunteers, I'll remove it at the next weekend.

 Thomas