[hatari-devel] CMake build system

George Nakos ggn at hol.gr
Tue Jan 19 23:25:19 CET 2010

Hello Thomas,

> I've now also spent some time to try out cmake on Mac OS X
> on my old PowerMac... I tried to create a native Xcode project with
> cmake, but that failed completely. First thing was, that I had to run
> cmake twice for some strange reason, or it would not create all
> necessary project files.

On the other project that used CMake, I also run cmake-gui, and it was
suggested  that I push "configure" as many times as needed in order to
generate the makefiles. So I guess that this is normal behaviour.

> Honestly, I am quite a bit disappointed now. I thought it would be
> easier with cmake. And considering the problems that Christer and George
> faced, and considering that the other main developers do not seem to be
> interested in this topic, I think we should maybe better stick with the
> old build system. CMake is certainly very nice for projects with simple
> build rules, but when it comes to more complex build rules like the
> ones for our CPU core, the portability and simplicity of cmake fades
> away.

Another  thing to note was that after I overcame all the path problems
(which might be because of the way mingw/msys is set up), it halted on
an error while linking that I can't remember atm.

In  general,  I  dunno.  Cmake  seems  nice  enough  and has some good
features,  especially the gui version can make anyone set up paths and
locate  include files, etc, something I find hard to do with makefiles
(I  always hate having to add include paths, so I end hardcoding paths
in the source files).

However  if  maintaining it is a nuisance, and noone wants to do that,
it's  no  skin off my back (plus, the old makefiles work perfectly for
me nowdays).

--
Best regards,
 George                            mailto:ggn at hol.gr