[hatari-devel] CMake build system

Thomas Huth huth at users.berlios.de
Tue Jan 19 23:08:20 CET 2010

On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 06:36:56 +0100
Christer Solskogen <christer.solskogen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Thomas Huth <huth at users.berlios.de>
> wrote:
>
> > You can run "make VERBOSE=1" to see a full output of what is going
> > on. The default should be to do a "Release" build with -O3 and w/o
> > -g. You can also run "cmake -LA" to see a list of the cmake
> > variables.
> >

> Thanks! :)
> The only thing that I miss out is that hatari is able to build on Mac
> OS with CMake :)

I've now also spent some time to try out cmake on Mac OS X
on my old PowerMac... I tried to create a native Xcode project with
cmake, but that failed completely. First thing was, that I had to run
cmake twice for some strange reason, or it would not create all
necessary project files. Then, the Xcode project also does not work at
all. It completely fails to build the UAE CPU core, and other parts
showed me strange linker problems.
Honestly, I am quite a bit disappointed now. I thought it would be
easier with cmake. And considering the problems that Christer and George
faced, and considering that the other main developers do not seem to be
interested in this topic, I think we should maybe better stick with the
old build system. CMake is certainly very nice for projects with simple
build rules, but when it comes to more complex build rules like the
ones for our CPU core, the portability and simplicity of cmake fades
away.
So I think I'll remove the CMakeLists.txt files from our repository
again unless somebody comes up with a good reason to keep them.

 Regards,
  Thomas