[hatari-devel] IDE & gemdos HD emulation

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Sat Jan 16 15:59:01 CET 2010

Hi,

On Saturday 16 January 2010, Thomas H. wrote:
>> I don't think I've ever gotten both IDE emulation & gemdos emulation to
>> work together so that GEMDOS was somewhere else than C:.

It may be that I just didn't test having it elsewhere because of this:
>> One needs to load the IDE driver from somewhere and using a floppy
>> image for that is pretty annoying...

>> And then one needs to tell IDE driver to ignore already mapped
>> (GEMDOS) drives.
>
> I think it used to work, maybe half a year ago or so? Maybe it's
> currently broken again since there have been some changes to IDE and
> GEMDOS emulation inbetween. But why should it be necessary to tell the
> IDE driver to ignore the GEMDOS partitions?

If I have GEMDOS partitions C & E and have some file as --ide-master disk,
disabling HDDriver "Preserve existing partitions" option will result (after
reboot) TOS saying that drive D doesn't exist.

> GEMDOS HD emulation is above IDE emulation so the IDE driver must not
> know about GEMDOS. You just have to make sure that your GEMDOS HD
> partitions do not collide with IDE. So for example, if you have an IDE
> disk with 4 partitions (C - F), you must name your GEMDOS partition to
> G or above.

Right, that could work.  But Hatari & TOS need then to be able to load
the HD driver from the C: IDE partition.

At least although HDDriver claims that driver is installed to the IDE drive,
booting with it doesn't run the IDE driver / you don't see the whole driver
(Tested both with TT & Falcon modes).  I have no idea whether this is Hatari
or TOS issue.