[hatari-devel] ACSI/DMA emulation issues

Uwe Seimet Uwe.Seimet at seimet.de
Sun Nov 29 17:57:03 CET 2009

Hi,

> Sure, but according to Volker Seebode, this is also the behaviour of a
> real ST !?

That's an interesting point. I have never checked this, Volker may be
right. Anyway, in the case of Hatari I doubt that a driver would abort
sending commands because of an error condition. The emulation will never
fail in accepting command bytes, so the current solution should work
fine, regardless of how a real Atari works.

> Ok, I'll have a look into this later...

Sounds good! I think we are close to resolving this issue. BTW, it's not
surprising that AHDI and other drivers are not affected by this. (I have
never tested Hatari with other drivers, though.) Except for HDDRIVER and
CBHD there are no other drivers implementing the SCSI Driver interface,
as far as I know, i.e. other drivers do not necessarily have to implement
work-arounds for the ACSI/DMA FIFO issue.

Most likely as soon as this issue is resolved I will try to improve
Hatari's ACSI support by making the ACSI software interface compatible
with the ICD Link and the LINK96/97. This will enable Hatari to execute
any SCSI command class, and is needed to access ACSI drive images bigger
than 1 GB.

Best regards

Uwe