[hatari-devel] Option for dis/allowing updates to GEMDOS partitions

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Sun Nov 15 20:33:32 CET 2009

Hi,

On Sunday 15 November 2009, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> On Sunday 15 November 2009, Uwe Seimet wrote:
> > > In current GEMDOS emulation setting of file timestamp is explicitly
> > > disabled.    I assume this is to avoid lots of files with "broken"
> > > timestamps from programs that cannot handle timestamps from
> > > this millenium.
> >
> > An option to enable the timestamp handling would be useful.
>
> Currently Hatari has some ifdefs on whether saving onto GEMDOS partition
> is enabled.  I think I'll change that to be a run-time option first.
> Then allow Atari programs to set files writable and lastly look into
> whether allowing timestamps makes sense.

As this is user-visible change, I thought to mail here first...

I've though that the option would be:
  --do-changes <bool> Do changes to mounted GEMDOS <dir> contents

And it would by default allow writing the to GEMDOS partitions.  The change
to current behaviour is that programs can now change files to be writable
(if they were not).

When the option is disabled, programs cannot create new files or
directories, or write to existing ones (unlike earlier).  I'll add logging
for these failed attempts, at the WARN level which is by default visible on
console.

(I will also do some minor gemdos code refactoring at the same time.)