[hatari-devel] Issues with IDE/ACSI emulation and HD Driver

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Sun Nov 15 16:52:50 CET 2009

Hi,

On Sunday 15 November 2009, Uwe Seimet wrote:
> Also not my email with the code fragment for WIN_FORMAT. This fragment
> is most likely everything that's needed. It works basically the same as
> writing sectors with a particular pattern, but from an applications
> (i.e. drivers's) perspective that's what formatting actually does.

Thanks, I'll try it.

> > > For me booting from an IDE drive image in Falcon-compatible mode with
> > > an original TOS 4.04 works fine.
> >
> > I think that works because TOS 4 supports IDE (but HD Driver doesn't
> > work in Hatari with TOS 4).  So I'm mainly interested about why it
> > doesn't work with the ACSI mode...
>
> Yes, exactly, see my comment above.
>
> But nevertheless I can boot from an IDE image with TOS 4.04 and HDDRIVER,
> i.e. I could not observe anything wrong with HDDRIVER/Hatari/TOS 4.

Oh, you meant it it works in Hatari.

> What exactly is your problem? Note that when using HDRIVER with TOS 4.04
> you must ensure that the CPU is at least an 68030, i.e. you must enable
> the 68040 setting.

I didn't know about the 68040 trick.  It indeed works.  Why that works with
HD Driver instead of the 020+FPU that's enabled by Hatari Falcon mode
normally?

The difference from 020 to 030 is MMU (and extra data cache) and from 030 to
040 FPU being on the same die (and slower on some operations).