[hatari-devel] Hatari VDI mode colors issue

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Sat Aug 15 10:00:02 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Saturday 15 August 2009, Thomas Huth wrote:
> > > While monochrome and 4 planes modes are now fine, something's still
> > > broken in 2 planes mode.  Try:
> > >   ./hatari --machine st -s 4 --vdi-planes 2 --vdi-width 320
> > > --vdi-height 200 --tos etos512k.img -d .
> > >
> > > With Hatari v1 it looks fine, with current Hatari  it looks broken
> > > like in the attached screenshot.
> > >
> > > Funny thing is that if I use Falcon or TT emulation, it looks fine
> > > in current Hatari too.
> >
> > And using normal TOS works too.  Only Emutos + ST or STE mode + 2
> > planes mode is broken (compared to Hatari v1).

Btw. The colors are wrong in 2-plane VDI mode (yellow instead of black) and
there's also something wierd with the 4-plane VDI mode colors (they don't
match non-VDI mode), but that's not a regression, it happens also with
older Hatari versions.

I've thought that it's a Emu/TOS issue, but could that also be a Hatari
issue?  Compare e.g.:
- GEM desktop in ST med-rez vs. 2-plane 640x200 VDI mode
  (normal or Emu TOS)
- GEM Nethack in TT med-rez vs. 4-plane 640x400 VDI mode
  (works only with normal TOS, with EmuTOS complains about not
  finding the RSC file)

> Looks like a bug in EmuTOS... seems like it does not mask out the upper
> bits when reading 0xff8260 ... uncomment the last two lines of
> Video_ShifterMode_ReadByte() in Hatari, then it works again.
> However, since Video_ShifterMode_ReadByte() now mimics the behaviour of
> an original Atari ST, it's not the fault of Hatari, it's the fault of
> EmuTOS.

Is it easy to fix in EmuTOS?

(Sorry, still haven't installed cross-compiler for myself... :-/)