[hatari-devel] Issues with DMA sound

Thomas Huth huth at users.berlios.de
Sat Aug 15 09:32:53 CEST 2009

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 08:38:43 +0200 (CEST)
Anders Eriksson <ae at dhs.nu> wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Aug 2009, npomarede at corp.free.fr wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 14 Aug 2009, Kåre Andersen wrote:
> >
> >> From legendary STE demomaker/composer Excellence in Art at the dhs
> >> coding bbs today:
> >>
> >> "STE DMA sound is QUITE a bit louder than YM sound in Hatari that
> >> on the real machine, and instead of having the users complain
> >> about my music, it'd be nice to at least warn them :-)"
> >>
> >> The thread starts here:
> >> http://bbs.dhs.nu/coding/index.php?request=3001
[...]
> > Well, I can only agree, volume levels are certainly not correct for
> > now, but this needs some measurements on real hardware.
[...]
> I reported this error some months ago, and somebody said they fixed
> it. I have not been able to test it as there has been no new Hatari
> release since then. And I guess the same goes for XiA.

Well, there were in fact two problems:

1) Hatari mixed the DMA sound samples and PSG sound samples with a bad
ration. This has been fixed with changeset e27e82952a01 and thus the
next public release 1.3.

2) Hatari does not emulate the STE microwire/LMC1992 chip yet, so if a
program tries to adjust the volume level, bass, etc., this won't work
in Hatari yet.

 Thomas