[hatari-devel] Debugger address base

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Sun Aug 2 23:12:44 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Friday 31 July 2009, Thomas Huth wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 22:39:16 +0200 (CEST)
> npomarede at corp.free.fr wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Jul 2009, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> > > Anyway, I think it might be better to have an option for forcing
> > > all numbers lacking prefix to be interpreted in certain number
> > > base.  The new "value" command could for example accept special
> > > "dec", "hex" and "bin" argument for switching this.
>
> That sounds like a good idea! Could you implement this?

Will do.

>> I guess it depends, I sometimes also feels it more useful to enter data
>> as hex and sometimes as decimal. As you say, defaulting to hex is not
>> a problem, but we need to define a prefix to force the value to decimal.

..and make the data entry to use the number parser function too.

> > > The debugger prompt could show this mode.
>
> I'd rather would just show the mode when one enters the "value" command
> without arguments. I think you don't change the base too often, so
> showing it at each prompt sounds a little bit too much.

Why?  Currently prompt is just ">" and I'd rather have some redundancy than
debug something for a long time because I'd given something in wrong base
(e.g. because I forgot that I just switched to other number base).

Maybe the prompt should have also the current address for disasm /
memdumping:
	0x2000 [dec]>
:-)

> > > In the config file this option could be named e.g.
> > > NumberInputBase.  But what should be the prefix used for decimal
> > > numbers when non-the prefixed input is being interpreted as hex or
> > > binary?
> >
> > Yes, that's what I wondered too :) Maybe we could use '+' or '#' ?
>
> Sounds good, I'd prefer '+'

So debugger isn't going at some point going to have support for doing also
simple calcuations? :-)

> but '#' is also fine for me.

OK.