[hatari-devel] new version of video.c

Thomas Huth huth at users.berlios.de
Sat Jun 27 17:35:23 CEST 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 07:45:40 +0200 (CEST)
Anders Eriksson <ae at dhs.nu> wrote:

> I've tested some more and it looks like when changing from colour to
> mono in the Mac OS X GUI creates this horrible slowdown. When I did
> the same from the SDL GUI it worked OK.
>
> When I load the Falcon config from the Mac OS X GUI then it crashes.
> If I load it from commandline when starting Hatari, then it works. In
> my eyes it seems like a Mac OS X GUI specific issue. But I need more
> testing to be sure.

I've had some spare time today to check the current hg tip on my Mac
OSX, too, and you're right, there was a problem that only occured with
the OS X GUI of Hatari. It was quite an ugly bug, but I've finally
found the culprit and fixed it:

http://hg.berlios.de/repos/hatari/rev/3a66f38db0ad

If you're interested in the details: The Frame cycles counter was not
explicitly cleared during a reset (which is also executed when you
switch from color to mono). For the SDL GUI, this was no problem since
it's only triggered during a VBL, and in that case that counter got
cleared anyway. But the OS X GUI can occur at any time, so the counter
was not cleared here.
This non-cleared counter then later caused the video endline interrupt
to go crazy, causing massive slow-down or even complete deadlocks.

 Thomas