[hatari-devel] CPU breakpoints and single-stepping

npomarede at corp.free.fr npomarede at corp.free.fr
Sun Jun 7 22:58:28 CEST 2009

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009, Thomas Huth wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 17:38:11 +0300
> Eero Tamminen <eerot at users.berlios.de> wrote:
>
>> I think I'll first add similar kind of breakpoints & single stepping
>> for DSP as you added for CPU and then start working on the break
>> condition support (first as separate code debugUI).
>
> Well, I just had another idea: instead of re-creating such a complex
> framework for conditional breakpoints, why don't we simply use gdb
> instead? As far as I know, gdb can also connect to virtual machines (or
> external devices) through a stub. For example it is possible to use gdb
> with QEMU to debug the program that is running within QEMU (I never used
> this, though).
> gdb has already conditional breakpoints as far as I know, and a lot of
> other nice features - even source code debugging might be possible!
> Has anybody a clue what would have to be done to connect a 68k gdb to
> Hatari?

I don't know gdb, but wouldn't it be overkill for just the "simple" case
we want to use in hatari ? It's not like if we wanted to gain access to
complex C structure from the debugger, or pointers or thing like that.
Well, at least in my case, I know that gdb would be too much for me and
that I wouldn't use 1/10 of its ability for what I need to do :)

Source code debugging might be possible, but if you break into a paricular
demo/game, I'm afraid you won't have the asm source for it :)

And this could also be a huge dependency to link hatari against gdb ?