[hatari-devel] Hatari --sound option update?

Thomas Huth huth at users.berlios.de
Sat Jun 6 10:33:53 CEST 2009

On Sat, 30 May 2009 10:30:46 +0300
Eero Tamminen <eerot at users.berlios.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Monday 25 May 2009, Thomas Huth wrote:
> > > Currently the --sound command line option alternatives are:
> > > 	off, low, med, hi
> > >
> > > Any comments on how these alternatives should be changed now
> > > that we have internally more sound HZ values to select from?
> >
> > Use --sound <hz> to specify the sample value directly?
>
> You probably already notice that I updated this.
>
> I left the "off" option there too as I think that was the most used of
> the sound options.  I wasn't sure what HZ range should be accepted,
> for now I allow 3000-96000:
>   −−sound <x>
>        Sound frequency (off/3000-96000, off=faster)

What soundcards/devices are there that only allow a frequency of 3 kHz?
Even the lowest frequency of the STE was already 6.25 kHz, and this was
20 years ago! Since 3kHz also really sounds awful, I suggest to
increase the lowest frequency to 6 kHz.

I'm also not sure about the 96000 Hz ... the sound buffers that Hatari
uses are only tested with 44.1 kHz so far, so they might be too small
for using such high frequencies. Does anybody have a soundcard that can
do 96 kHz to test whether this works fine with Hatari?

 Thomas