[hatari-devel] things sometimes not working and fast forwarding

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Sun Apr 19 20:04:08 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Sunday 19 April 2009, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> I've been testing "Built-in Obsolescence" more and it's quite random how
> long it runs and whether it bombs at startup.  It works differently on
> different invocations with the same options.

Btw.  For a while I suspected fast forwarding as I remember earlier noticing
some TOS version sometimes freezing when using (or was it toggling?)
fast-forward during bootup and I think I've had sometimes issues with
it otherwise too.

Only things where fast-forward can have an affect are:
1. key repeat (effect configurable)
2. toggling back to normal speed calls Sound_ResetBufferIndex()
3. allowing emulation go faster than system clock. System clock
    i.e. "time(NULL)" call is used in rtc.c and ikbc.c

1) or 2) cannot affect what happens within emulation, they should affect
only emulator.  3) could have an effect.

Unlike ST/STe/TT tables, ioMemTabFalcon.c doesn't seem to hook RTC
functions, so that shouldn't[1] affect this either.  That leaves
IKBD_Cmd_ReadClock() call, but according to "--trace ikbd_cmds",
Built-in Obsolescence doesn't call that either.

[1] Thomas any comment on this?

        - Eero

PS.  If speeding fast-forwarding emulation could actually make things not
to work due to timings changing, so could emulation running at less than
100% speed because it's too slow...