[hatari-devel] Hard disk images and drivers

Eero Tamminen eerot at users.berlios.de
Mon Mar 23 23:05:46 CET 2009

Hi,

On Sunday 22 March 2009, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> > > However, although it recognizes Hatari/IDE, it doesn't recognize
> > > the partition created with the script (-> no C:).
> >
> > According to the website of Cecile:
> >
> >  "Cécile accéde indifférement aux partitions TOS que PC type 4 et 6."
> >
> > But your script (parted) creates a partition of type 0x0E. If you
> > change the type to 4 or 6 (depending on the size), it seems to work
> > (but I only did a quick testing, so don't rely on that).

It's not enough to change just partition type, it needs to be formatted like
that too.  :-)  Do you know whether and when mkdosfs uses FAT16<32MB
(partition type 4) and FAT16 (partition type 6)?  It doesn't tell, its
manual doesn't tell and it cannot be specified.

As far as I could see from wikipedia, only real difference between them
seems to be sector count being change from 16-bit to 32-bit:
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

(Whereas with FAT32 cluster addresses are changed from 16-bit to 32-bit.)

> Parted doesn't support these it seems, I can only specify fat16 and that
> produces whatever it produces.
>
> With fdisk exact partition type could be specified but it's interactive
> (like cfdisk).  I guess I'll look next whether I can get sfdisk working
> with disk image files after all.

I changed from parted to sfdisk.  Cecile works now fine.
(will update the manual after I've tested the script a bit more)